Sunday, July 16, 2017

Glory {Art} 2017 Scripture Challenge #7, Story

The Study
A couple of weeks ago, God put on my heart the topic for our July study. Then one weekend as I was posting on my Facebook page, I looked at my banner (which I usually ignore because it's been there so long). Anyway, here is what I saw:

Do you see the word 'story'? Wow, God was just confirming our topic today, and I love that! But instead of talking about our story and focusing on ourselves, today I want to remind you that everyone one around you has a story. Let's look at what I mean.

So, at the beginning of June, one of our daughters moved out after graduating college. As we were going to return the U-haul, I called the drop-off location to let them know we would be 30 minutes late in returning the truck. The woman was rather rude with me and bluntly told me that the truck was to be returned the day before. We had just picked it up the day before. How could it have been due back that same day? We had 24 hours. Anyway, she had me confused with another customer. I got off the phone and was rather struck by her rudeness. As we arrived at the drop-off location, I noticed she was bald. She had cancer. As we began to talk, she told me that she had just had a chemo treatment two days prior. Her brain was foggy, she was having trouble focusing on the computer screen, and she was hungry. I was then able to show her God's love and also tell her that I would be praying for her. She was a totally different person after I was able to lovingly talk with her. She had a story that I did not know about when talking to her on the phone. Did that excuse her rudeness? No but it explained it, and I was able to overlook it. Many would have been rude right back to her regardless of her story but that certainly would have closed off any chance to share the Lord. It wasn't about me being angry back; it was about the Lord and showing His love and compassion to her as she was suffering.

1 Peter 3:8 "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."

How many people do we encounter each and every day that have a 'story' going on in their lives right at that moment that we know nothing about? Probably most people. We all have an ongoing story. Some of us are in the midst of a very dark and difficult story. Some of us are inbetween stories. Some are in the middle of a great story. But we all have something; all of us! Something that may be easy for you to walk through may not be for someone else. God created each of us differently, and we have different abilities of handling things that come our way. But God calls us to show His love and compassion to others no matter what their story. How can we live out Colossians 3:12 if we don't go out, declare His goodness, and clothe ourselves as the verse says:

Colossians 3:12 "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

Sometimes, others do need to hear our story but it shouldn't be the first thing we offer. A good ear is always best when someone is sharing their story. However, God puts people in our paths that may need hear our stories. Share it as He leads! You never know how it may help the other person or how it might draw them to Him.

Psalm 107:2a "Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story."

Before we finish this study, here are a few scriptures to focus on as you think about interacting with people each day without knowing their story.

Psalm 37:27 "Turn from evil and do good; then you will dwell in the land forever."

Proverbs 25:21 "If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink."

Matthew 6:14 "For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

Mark 12:31 "The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these."

Luke 6:27 "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."

Ephesians 5:1 "Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children."

Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves."

James 1:19 "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."

Journaling Prompt
Here are the journaling prompts for this month:
  • How have you loved your 'neighbor' as yourself this year?
  • How has someone shown you great compassion and kindness in a situation, and how did it make you feel?
  • How can you shown someone great compassion and kindness in a situation?
  • Which virtue from Colossians 3:12 do you want God to perfect in you?
The Art
Today I created two pages in my Art {Marks} journal. I used the Philippians verse from above and also used a truth. Here is my journal, and if you would like to make your own, click here to see my tutorial.

These particular pages measure 3" x 3 1/2". Tiny, and I love it!





Thanks for joining me today. Feel free to join us on the Facebook page where some people will be sharing their creations. To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Share your story but remember that everyone else also has their own story too! Blessings,

Product List (click product tags for more information)

View blog post for supplies


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these timely and timeless truths, Patter. I love how story was hiding in plain sight on your website heading. Truly you are a blessing to me. And many others. Your stories, ideas, experiences, and creativity are a helpful encouragement to me.
Jennifer in OH

Patter Cross said...

Sweet, sweet Jennifer! You are such a HUGE blessing to me. You always make a comment that lifts me up and keeps me going. Thank you for your continued encouragement. You are a blessing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails