Sunday, September 23, 2012

{HSCRC12} Hymn #12, Trust and Obey

Hymn Challenge #12: Trust and Obey
Words Written by: John H. Sammis
b. Ju­ly 6, 1846; d. June 12, 1919

Music Written by: Daniel B. Towner
b. March 5, 1850; d. October 3, 1919

John H. Sammis was a businessman and also worked at the YMCA. He then attended seminary and became an or­dained Pres­by­ter­i­an min­is­ter in 1880. He served in Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, and Minnesota. He later taught at the Bible Institute of Los Angeles. Rev. Sammis received a note from Daniel B. Towner containing a sentence shared by a man at a testimony meeting. The sentence said: "I am not quite sure but I am going to trust, and I am going to obey." Mr. Towner s then delivered these words to Rev. Sammis who developed the lyrics to "Trust and Obey." Daniel Towner then composed the music and this hymn quickly became a favorite.

I think this hymn and Psalm 28:7 say it all for me this week. I have been living this hymn since I chose it earlier in the week. The first verse of this hymn says:

"When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey."

And the scripture says:

Psalm 28:7 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song."

I love that first line of the hymn--"when we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word." Yes, His Word is our book for living. It's our book for parenting. It's the book that has all we need to live each day.

Two of my girls wanted to get their driver's licenses this past week. We tried to get them shortly after we moved here but they did not accept the Driver's Education they had at our previous home. So, they told us since they were getting ready to turn 18 to just wait and come back after their birthday. At that point, the DMV would not need proof of anything. Crazy! Anyway, we let their permits expire, and so they could no longer drive here. They wanted to take the test this week but they have not driven in several weeks. They were really nervous about taking the test without driving for a while. One of my girls even asked me if I could take her to the road behind us to practice. She only wanted to practice a 3-point turn before going to take the test and that was it. I didn't answer her immediately, and then God put this on my heart:

Ephesians 6:5-6 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart."

Colossians 3:20 "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord."

After listening to what the Holy Spirit put on my heart, I had to tell her that we couldn't practice a 3-point turn before going to the DMV. I told her what God had put on my heart and told her how sorry I was but that I needed to obey the Lord first and foremost, and He calls me to obey the laws here. Driving illegally would be against what God wanted as we would have been breaking the law not keeping it. She understood but was of course saddened and then she became more nervous. But the hymn tells us:

"What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey."

And I am excited to tell you that God blessed our obedience, and both of our daughters got their licenses without any problem. Our third daughter has no interest in driving yet. LOL! Anyway, I was able to tell my daughter to look at what God showed her through this--He is faithful. She obeyed, and He blessed her for her obedience. And if we are filled with the Spirit, we will want to obey the Word of God. I had to serve Christ first by obeying Him and not allowing my daughter to drive and practice. It killed me as a mom. I wanted her to pass so badly, and I knew the anguish she felt by not being allowed to practice but I had to obey Christ first and not give in. Oh, but the joy we both felt after she passed was probably even more exciting than had I illegally taken her to practice her driving. Just as the second half of Psalm 28:7 says "My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song." The entire family has just been elated and God was glorified through it! Praise Him!

So where do you need to let go, trust His word, and obey Him? What do you need to bring to Him and trust Him fully? Or what old habit are you having trouble shaking because you are relying on self? Let go and trust Him to help you through it, and then experience the joy that comes from obedience!

Psalm 84:11-12 "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does He withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You."

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Below you will find the sheet music to "Trust and Obey." Remember to click on the photo to enlarge the music. Also, be sure to check out the link I have below for you today.


Listen here to Chelsea Moon with the Franz Brothers sing this beautiful hymn. I had never heard of this particular group but found this on YouTube and thought it was beautiful. I hope you enjoy it too!

For my 6x6 page today, I used a verse from the ODBD set called "Scripture Collection 9." The verse says:

Psalm 130:5 "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I put my hope."

So perfect for obeying and trusting Him! I also used the Basic Grey paper pack called PB and J. I just loved the bright colors. It makes me think of when I trust and obey Him, I am filled with joy (bright, happy colors). The die cut bicycle is a new die cut from Memory Box called "Brand New Bicycle." I wanted to use it because it makes me think of riding or walking and following something--in this case following and obeying the Lord and what He wants me to do.

Pin It


Papers: Basic Grey PB and J, library card
Stamps: Our Daily Bread Designs Scripture Collection 9
Stamp Ink: SU night of navy, ColorBox Fluid Chalk chestnut roan
Embellishments: Memory Box Brand New Bicycle die (98404), Memory Box white pearls (on bike tires), Basic Grey Wander chip stickers, Zva Creative flourishes, Creative Café felt butterflies, Pink Paislee wood chip alpha, misc. ticket, sewing machine


Remember to use Keyword HSCRC12 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. May you each be filled with blessings as you trust and obey Him!
  Photobucket

10 comments:

Jonia said...

Patter how wonderful that you allowedmthemLord to speak through you and then letmyourndaughters know. God is so faithful when we trust him and allow him to walk with us. And, as always your page is just beautiful. So refreshing and I love the bicycle. Thanks for sharing your heart with us!

Little Birdie Blessings said...

HI Patter, so happy to see this post on Trust and Obey, another of my favorite hymns. Your page is delightful. I have pinned it to my hymn board and will come back and read it when I can savor it. Thanks for all you do. ~ Abby

Anonymous said...

Oh, Patter, thank you so much! Back in childhood piano lesson days, this was the 2nd song I learned to play in our old hymnal (not an arrangement, so it really felt like the "big time!" Your study and story were very encouraging, and I shall look for ways to parent with trust and obedience today. Hug those girls, and your sweet husband. How are the animals adjusting to new surroundings? I enjoyed the layout, as always. May God bless you, as you bless others! --Jennifer in Ohio

Ann Marie said...

Good old hymn, love it. :-) Very pretty LO, especially love that sentiment stamp.

TLady said...

Thank you Patter! Listening to Chelsea Moon.... I hadn't heard of her before! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!! We used to sing that little hymn in our Bible Classes in our home after School, when I was just a child! :)

Patter Cross said...

Thank you all for sharing your stories about this hymn. Love it! And yes, I loved Chelsea Moon so much I had to buy the CD. LOVE her voice, and the CD is full of hymns. Can't wait to get it!

Oh, and Jennifer, thanks for your words for the kids and hubby. He just got in an hour ago from India, Singapore and China. Needless to say he is wiped out! The animals have adjusted well. They really seem to love it here too. Thanks for asking!

Blessings to all of you!

Pam said...

What a beautiful testimony! I remember singing this in church growing up. What a wonderful hymn! Now I have it ringing through my head, which is a good thing! :-) Going to check out the video. I love your layout! I have it pinned on my scrapbooking board. Not only am I inspired by your creativity. I'm also inspired for the message that this layout tells. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Congratulations on your girls getting their driver's licenses. And I wish your daughter well when she is ready to receive her DL as well. :-)

Anonymous said...

thank you Patter for all the emails you send. I love them all. Trust and Obey is a fav orite of mine. Recently you sent a BSF notebook covered and I was impressed and so made some of my own for a friend and my daughtrer they all loved them. What a great idea!! Barb

Anonymous said...

Dear Patter,

Thank you for the gift that your precious posts are…this one went right to my spirit and so blessed me! My eldest, Rachel {who just turned 20} just passed her driver’s license after a fail 2 weeks ago…she has been extremely hesitant to drive after her daddy had a severe car accident [4 years ago] in which he broke and displaced his neck {he is not a quadriplegic – as the surgeons all said “a true miracle!”} So, there were many, many issues in and around her getting her license! God’s leading and timing are so precious and so needed…every moment, every hour, every day!! We, too, homeschool- God bless you and water your spirit with His life giving water today!! In His’ love, Becky

Becky J abcjones@comcast.net

Anne-Marie said...

You have shared a favourite old hymn of mine, thankyou.
I really enjoyed your sharing about your daughters and their driving tests.

Related Posts with Thumbnails